Thursday, February 10, 2011

Mom's Birthday Cowl


Here is yet another example of my inability to walk away from the classic Feather and Fan stitch. I loved the two yarns together, and wanted a simple pattern that showed the beautiful drape of the Alpaca Silk and the glittery softness of the Kid Mohair, and because I am a creature of habit, the feathers and fans just fell off my needles in less than two days from yarn purchase to wet blocking.

Yarn:
1 skein Fancy Image Limited Edition Sparkling Kid Mohair ,(200 yards, color Cream)
1 skein Blue Sky Alpaca Silk,(146 yards, color Wisteria)

Needles and Notions:
size 8 16"circular needle
stitch markers or safety pins
darning needle
scissors

Gauge:
Not critical, and I forgot to measure it before I gave the cowl away!

Pattern:
Feather and Fan Stitch in the Round (from Gaby Monson )
Round 1 and 2: Knit around
Round 3: *K2tog 3 times, (yo, k1)6 times, k2tog 3 times. Repeat from * around to beginning marker.
Round 4: Knit around

With one strand of both A and B held together, cast on 108 stitches.
Join, being careful not to twist stitches, and purl one round
Knit one round, placing a stitch marker every 18 stitches
Purl one round
Begin Feather and Fan stitch Pattern, work the 4 round repeat 12 times, ending after Round 4.
Purl one round
Knit one round
Purl one round
Bind off all stitches loosely (yet neatly)

weave in your ends, soak and block to get rid of the kinks and shape the scallops, wear and enjoy!

Disclaimer: Because I was so eager to give this away, I forgot to count how many repeats I did of the pattern and had to rely on counting rounds from my pictures...this is not an exact science, so just quit with the pattern when you are about five yards from running out of the Alpaca Silk, then follow the instructions for the garter end.
And here's my lovely mudder, wearing her cowl:

3 comments:

Penny McEntee said...

Very nice! I can't wait to make one. I love the feather and fan pattern also.

Unknown said...

The link for the feather and fan pattern is not available :( Any way you can tell us how to do that stitch please. Tyvm!!

Procrastaknitter said...

Tanny: I apologize, I did not see your comment until just now!
The Feather and Fan pattern is listed in my post- Rounds 1-4.
I just checked that the link is broken, but the link was just to give credit back to the free pattern I had found on the Yarn Lady's page.
Happy Knitting!